Sunday, March 12, 2017

Sunday Sodium Survey, weeks 8, 9, and 10

Days tracked: 2/19/17 to 3/11/17*
Daily goal: less than 2000 mg sodium per day
Days goal met: ALL!

A while back I posted the first full-week Sunday Sodium Survey. Eating low sodium is clearly good for my health. Aside from the long term benefits for me**, my blood pressure is lower than it's ever been, and I'm not retaining water. I am so much not retaining water that I haven't needed to take my diuretic recently. I will do my level best to maintain this low sodium intake for the rest of my life.

I am getting resigned to eating low sodium. It would be a filthy lie to say that I don't miss the salt; I miss it all the time. It's possible that most folks would feel differently after 8 weeks eating low sodium. It wouldn't be the first time that I'm atypical :) But it may well be proof that Irony is an important part of the structure of the universe - all of my go-to comfort foods are salty/savory. Most of what I like to cook is improved with a good sprinkle of salt. Hell - when I'm eating enough fruits and vegetables, I don't much care for eating other sweets. However, I am a forward-thinking hedonist. I will live longer and live better eating low sodium, so I will keep doing it. I will also work on hating it less, and maybe even enjoying it :)

Going forward I'll keep posting the Sunday Sodium Survey, but instead of counting weeks I'll just use the date. The weekly check in has been remarkably helpful, but counting the weeks is becoming a chore, so away it goes :)

Have a great week, however you choose to eat!

*oops - fell out of the posting habit for a couple weeks. I'm back now :)

**While I need to keep my sodium intake down, not everyone does. My body is particularly sensitive to salt. Even if you are salt sensitive, reducing your salt intake isn't a moral imperative - you do you and we'll celebrate being our own selves :)

No comments:

Post a Comment