Sunday, January 1, 2017

Sunday Sodium Survey, 0

Days tracked: 12/28/16 to 1/1/17
Daily goal: less than 2000 mg sodium per day
Days goal met: 12/30, 12/31, and 1/1/17
Grade: A++

You may notice that I met my goal on only 3 out of the 5 days; a 60% success rate. However, eating low sodium is REALLY HARD, so I'm grading on a massive curve. If my food frustration could be converted to electricity, this week would power the nation for a month. I only included the grade to comment on the grading curve; it probably won't be in any other Sunday Sodium Surveys.

I do not think everyone needs to cut their sodium intake, nor track it as closely as I am. Most people don't even need to worry about it. Without going into the medical details (that will be its own blog post), I will absolutely be healthier in the short and the long term by keeping my sodium intake down. In just a few days, my ankles are noticeably less swollen than they've been in ages. I feel better in general, although that could be the lovely placebo effect of taking any positive action.

Did I mention that eating low sodium is really hard? Because it's really, really hard. My poor roommates have been hearing about that a LOT lately. That is why I've started this blog series. Since I'm going to suffer, this tiny corner of the internet can suffer with me.

Well, no, I don't actually want others to suffer. If I find the magic wand that removes sodium without changing food's flavor, I will totally share it. To end on a positive, here's a list, in no particular order, of things for which I'm grateful:
~the USDA food composition database
~supportive friends, family, and roommates
~cute hair toys
~having access to good, consistent medical care
~downloadable ebooks and audiobooks from the public library

Question of the Day: For what are you grateful?

No comments:

Post a Comment