Thursday, August 21, 2014

#CTC29 Day 21 Literary Form: Epistolary

I adore the epistolary form! In an epistolary narrative the story is told mostly or entirely via letters or something similar. Dracula by Bram Stoker is an epistolary novel, for instance.

I'm not sure if I've finished this one. I feel like something more should happen, but I don't (yet?) know what. I'll just have to wait and see what my subconscious decides to do with it :)

To: Info@{redacted}aquarium.org
From: mama@{redacted}.com
Subject: I am so very sorry

Hello. My family is currently on the flight back home after our lovely vacation. Our little girl Monica begged and begged us to go back to the aquarium one more time before we went home, so we ended up going directly from the aquarium to the airport. It wasn't until we were in the air that we found the baby otter in her backpack. I've explained to her that we have to return it to the aquarium. We won't land for another two hours, but as soon as we do we will do whatever we can to get the baby back to you. She doesn't seem to miss mama yet, but I'm sure she will before too long.

Please let me know how best to take care of her on the plane, and how we can get her back when we get on the ground.

I am so very, very sorry! I truly do not know how this happened.


To: mama@{redacted}.com
From: Info@{redacted}aquarium.org
Subject: Re: I am so very sorry

Thank you for contacting {redacted}aquarium! You input is very important to us. We read every email sent in, and respond to as many as possible. If this is a pressing matter, you can call us at (XXX) 555-1234.

Thank you!


To: mama@{redacted}.com
From: Info@{redacted}aquarium.org
Subject: Re: I am so very sorry

I'm only responding because I think I remember your family being part of the tour I led earlier this week. Are you serious? Do you actually have an otter pup in your little girl's backpack?

I can't believe I'm even asking this.

Joan

To: Info@{redacted}aquarium.org
From: mama@{redacted}.com
Subject: Re: I am so very sorry (attachment)

Well, she's not in the backpack anymore, but she is here with us. I've attached a picture of her. Somehow she got out of the backpack and had a very exciting time exploring the airplane. She seems to have decided it was time to play "can't catch me". It took all the flight attendants and several passengers to scoop her up again. A very nice Norwegian woman is now carrying her vacation souvenirs in a trash bag and two donated shopping bags so we could use her box to contain the otter pup. The run must have worn her out. She drank some water, ruffled up the blanket we gave her and went to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment